We have several Beat The Boredom Bins at home to keep the kids occupied while social distancing.
Slime is a very popular “toy” for kids. Homemade slime has gained so much popularity recently. Slime is cheaper to make at home, plus it’s a whole lot of fun!
Easily create a Homemade Slime Making Bin to entertain your kids.
Home Made Slime Making Bin Materials
You will need the following:
- A bin, big enough to contain all the materials in
- Craft sticks for mixing
- Food coloring – these are the ones from the “Neon” box. The kids enjoy mixing the colors.
- Contact lens solution – make sure that Sodium Borate and Boric Acid are on the ingredients list
Renu Fresh contact lens solution by Baucsh & Lomb is what we recommend and use.
Watch out when looking for the “generic” counterpart of this contact lens solution. The Walmart brand one DID NOT have Sodium Borate and Boric Acid in the ingredients list. Although it is significantly cheaper, unfortunately it will not work.
This contact lens solution is the most expensive ingredient for this bin, at about $11 for a 355 ml bottle. However, one bottle goes a really long way – you only need a couple of squirts per batch.
- Instructions – I placed ours in a sheet protector
There are a lot of homemade slime recipes online. I made one of the recipes into a PDF printable on Canva.
If you would like a copy of our slime recipe,join the family! We’ll be happy to send you a copy. Because #sharingiscaring!
Now all your kids have to do is follow the instructions to start making slime.
We use old take out containers, as shown above, for mixing.
Notes and Reminders
- Make sure that there is adult supervision when kids are making the slime. These are chemicals that need to be properly handled.
- All of the above materials were bought from Walmart. They can also be purchased at the Dollarama. Or you can click the links for each material and get them through Amazon.
Several versions of home made slime exist.
The Fluffy version is made by adding Shaving Cream Foam before mixing in the Renu Contact Lens Solution.
The Glitter version is made by adding glitter before mixing in the Renu Contact Lens Solution.
Let your kids be creative!
Our kids enjoy having the Homemade Slime Making Kit as one of their Beat The Boredom Bins.
It allows them to play, learn, and create, as well as entertain themselves for hours at a time.
A mini-version of this Slime Making Kit would be an awesome birthday party activity or grab-bag as a thank you for attending the party. 😉
We hope you try making the Homemade Slime Making Kit to beat the boredom while we’re all social distancing. When you do, leave us a comment below. Or share it on Instagram and tag us, @This.Family.Life.We.Live. We love to see your creations!